Project Serpent: Day 8

Somehow Day 7’s post got lost amid my move and starting my first day of work1. My accomplishments for that day are probably smooshed into the post for Days 5 and 6, but I haven’t been paying close enough attention.

Needless to say, I’ve decided to extend my deadline to a second week. This isn’t really a problem, because the point was never to finish something fast, it was just to stick with it until it got finished at all. I think I’m pretty well on track for this (but I do think that this next deadline is going to be stricter: I can’t just pat myself on the back and be content that I’m making progress, so I want to be careful not to let this drag on longer than it needs to).

Anyway, a brief recap. At the end of days 5 and 6 (and maybe 7, I guess?), I had implemented my NONBLOCKING effect and its yield command, which allowed me to write much more natural-looking code. I felt very satisfied with my work, and proud for thinking of it and fighting my way through the type errors until it actually worked the way I wanted it to.

And then I called it a day, because it was late, but that meant that I ended that day of development without actually using my triumph to write a natural event loop to evolve and draw the game.

So on Day 8, I spent my time doing that. First, since I was now writing my entire game loop within the Effects DSL, I needed to write an effect that provides drawing commands rather than just using IO actions. I did this.

But I soon discovered that whenever I used these drawing commands, they would grind my game loop to a halt: I had previously put in a console.log every time my yield code fired, and whenever I used my drawing effect I’d get exactly one line of output from it. I worried that perhaps my yield effect wasn’t as composable as I had thought, that my entire architecture was flawed and that if I’d just thought about it more rigorously before spending a day implementing it I would have realized that it couldn’t possibly work, that it was too good to be true.

Actually it turned out to be an embarrassing example of the kind of mistake that doesn’t get caught by a type system. Interpreters for Effects programs are defined in continuations, and the thing that makes this powerful is that you can define when, how, and how many times the continuation is called. For instance, you can call the continuation under a lambda abstraction and pass it values that don’t actually exist. You can call the continuation many times and build up a list of the results.

Or you can call the continuation zero times, simulating a nonlocal exit. The code following a command that doesn’t call its continuation… doesn’t get executed.

Needless to say, this is exactly what I did.

Despite all those problems, I soon ended up with a simple program that just makes the snake run off the edge of the screen. But the program was written entirely in my little Effects DSL, and looks very natural, and I’m confident that it will be easy to write many different variations when it comes time to add more features.

Day 8 was well spent.


  1. I am so excited about this. So much that trying to find the words would distract me unacceptably from Project Serpent, so unfortunately I won’t. 
Advertisements

One thought on “Project Serpent: Day 8

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s